Автор Тема: Отзовитесь владельцы ENGL Powerball !  (Прочитано 3346 раз)

Оффлайн svenotaur Автор темы

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
Отзовитесь владельцы ENGL Powerball !
« : Ноября 23, 2010, 06:34:07 »
Интересуюсь отличиями в разных версиях пауэрболла. Может кто-то подсказать, в чём они? Или ткните, где почитать можно на эту тему, буду весьма признателен!

... и добавил:

Хм...никто ничего не знает???
Не может же такого быть.
« Последнее редактирование: Декабря 06, 2010, 11:45:05 от svenotaur »

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
Re: ENGL Powerball v1 vs v2 vs Powerball II. В чём отличия?
« Ответ #1 : Ноября 25, 2010, 06:28:31 »
Нашёл вот что на забугорных форумах:

Hey there.
There are tre difference between I and II.

1) The precense potentiometer are logarytmic on VII and linear on VI.

2) The gate. In my opinion an MXR SNART Gate is much better anyway. I tested an VII but Mxr do the job much better. At least if feedback is what you use the gate for.

3) The diods inside the head are more red on VII.

Som people beleved VI are built with better quality than VII.

I wouln't put much for a modification. The sound is the same.
======================================================
Wrong,

It was the Treble control that was altered from linear to logarithmic curve.

And apart from the update to the noise gate.... quoting the ENGL site, "In conjunction secondly, the gain structure was fine tuned between the high gain channels to make it more robust against feedback issues."

I agree, the leds on V2's are more red than V1's.. so it seems to me!

... и добавил:

И еще вот:

ENGL Powerball V1
Price Paid : $1450 shipped - used

Features : 9

Even though this thing is PACKED with features I'm giving it a 9 because one feature isn't very good.

Let's start with the bad... the built in noisegate. It makes the amp dead silent when you're not playing but it has about a full second of lag time before the gate closes when you stop playing. I'm using a Boss NS-2 in front of it so this doesn't really cause a problem but without the Boss it sounds like ass when you are trying to do some tight start/stop riffing. From what I hear this has been improved on the newer V2 version of the amp so that says something for the company. They realized people didn't like it and they fixed it.

Noisegate aside this amp is LOADED with useful features! It has 2 mid shapings, open and focused. I prefer focused by a long shot but I can see where somebody else would prefer open. Then there's the depth punch and presence. I like the depth punch feature! Most amps have a presence knob to adjust the high end in the power section but I've never seen one that lets you adjust the low end. You have to be careful with it because it can get boomy and muddy real fast if you abuse it but used correctly you get wonderful sounding low end. Presence... nearly useless but I'm glad they put it there so you can dial it out! I like it no higher than 9:00. Any higher than that and there's just too much fizz. Then there's the bottom buttons for each channel. I find these work like a loud button on a car stereo. It makes it sound better at low volumes! A lot better! For practice or gigging volumes it needs to be off though. It's just too much bass. All this, 4 channels, and 2 master volumes = VERY versatile amp!

Sound Quality : 9

9 again... no amp is perfect. I'm going to base this part of the review on the two lead channels as I have spent very little time with the clean and crunch.

Let me start by saying that they did something right with the input gain of this amp! I've used a boost in front of all tube amps as long as I can remember and I actually thought that all amps were useless to me without one. Not the case here. I think it sounds better without one! It's almost like there is a built in boost between the guitar input and the preamp section. I will experiment more with boosting it eventually but for now I'm plugging straight in with nothing more than my NS-2.

High Lead: My favorite! Instant death metal tone as soon as you hit the first note no matter how it's dialed in. After dialing it in to my taste it's the smoothest, tightest, most vicious sounding distortion I've ever had the pleasure of creating. It's not tricky to dial in at all which is a BIG relief after being a recto guy! So long as you don't abuse the bass or scoop the mids I don't think you can make this channel sound bad. I started off by finding a balance between the depth punch and bass knob then cranked the mids to about 2 o clock. Almost there! Then I dialed down the presence per zimbloth's recommendation... WAY down! Then cranked the treble up to about 2:30 to make up for the lack of presence. There it is! The tone I was looking for!

I might also add that there is TOO much gain available on this amp! I'm playing death metal that is more brutal than you could imagine and even after putting a gain reduction preamp tube (5751) in it I'm STILL running the gain at just above 9 o clock. I do highly recommend putting this tube in though! It warmed the amp up a bit and took away some of the unwanted sizzle. Now I've got smooth, articulate distortion.

Low Lead: Haven't spent near as much time here as I have with high lead. Don't let the name fool you, there's still a fuck-ton of gain here. I find this channel similar to high lead but a little smoother with a touch more mids. I'll be using it for leads when I get off my ass and write some for my new band. I'm pretty sure Engl intended for this to be the rhythm channel and the high lead to be for leads but I've always done things backwards and this will be no exception.

Now I'd like to yell for a minute to get a very important point across:

THERE IS A LOT OF TALK OF THIS AMP SOUNDING PROCESSED LIKE A MODELER. YES, IT DOES IF YOU HAVE THE GAIN AND PRESENCE TOO HIGH. YOU CAN'T DIAL IT IN LIKE MOST AMPS WHEN IT COMES TO THESE TWO KNOBS. THE AFOREMENTIONED 5751 PREAMP TUBE IN V2 ALSO HELPED MAKE THIS AMP SOUND A BIT MORE ORGANIC. DON'T OVERLOOK THIS AMP BECAUSE YOU'VE HEARD THAT 1,000,000 TIMES! IT'S NOT TRUE IF YOU DIAL IT IN RIGHT!!!

there, had to get that out.

Reliability : No Opinion

The amp is at least a few years old and has no issues but I haven't had it long enough or abused it enough to say how reliable it is. I've heard some horror stories and seen some pics of the guts of some of the cheaper Engl amps that almost made me want to vomit but I've been told by a very reputable amp tech that everything Powerball and up in the Engl family is built very solid. I had it open to bias it and everything looked clean and neat inside.

Customer Support : N/A

Emailed them a couple of questions before I biased it and never got a response. That kind of urked me but they probably don't want just anybody probing around inside their amps. A simple "take it to a tech" response would've been sufficient. I had my questions answered for me elsewhere so I doubt I'll ever have any reason to contact them.

Overall Rating : 9

I've been playing for 16 years. Started out with a guitar and amp that cost $90 for the pair at a pawn shop! Over the years I have sold stuff, thrown in a couple hundred here and there, and upgraded looking for that holy grail of tone. The last couple of years have been the worst  I think in two years I've been through 7 amps. This is my favorite thus far but I highly doubt my little quest is over. If this were stolen from me I'd save up and buy an Engl SE 6L6 which is next on my list anyway but VERY expensive. I hope to have one by this time next year. I was an Engl hater before trying this amp mainly because they have some extremely annoying fanboys over at that other site and the horrible gutshot pics didn't help. I wish I'd have ignored all that and tried one long ago because it is a killer sounding amp!!! I went from what some consider to be the holy grail of rectos (Racktifier) to this and I don't regret it in the least.

... и добавил:

Суть одна: в v1 говённый нойзгейт, в последующей версии это, вроде бы, исправили. ???
« Последнее редактирование: Ноября 25, 2010, 06:31:14 от svenotaur »

Оффлайн Constantine_86

• Новичок
« Ответ #2 : Ноября 30, 2010, 11:50:33 »
Ну вот, сам и ответил :)

Оффлайн Makaroff

• Живу на форуме
  • DIY - my life
« Ответ #3 : Декабря 01, 2010, 02:51:56 »
но в любом случае павербол крутая штука  :crazy:

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
« Ответ #4 : Декабря 01, 2010, 03:24:16 »
Хотелось бы услышать мнения реальных владельцев, насколько там действительно всё плохо\хорошо с этим шумодавом.

Оффлайн Constantine_86

• Новичок
« Ответ #5 : Декабря 01, 2010, 09:22:34 »

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
« Ответ #6 : Декабря 01, 2010, 10:07:07 »
Заглядывал. Там владельцу в мае задали вопрос и до сих пор ответа нет. Резюме вывели, что 2 круче. но непонятно, чем именно. Про нойзгейт ни слова.

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
« Ответ #7 : Декабря 03, 2010, 09:56:47 »
Владельцы паверболлов, ну отзовитесь уже! :worship:

Оффлайн Maxi Z

• Эксперт
« Ответ #8 : Декабря 03, 2010, 23:19:33 »
спроси на правильном форуме  ;) тут без мазы  :7:

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
Re: Отзовитесь владельцы ENGL Powerball !
« Ответ #9 : Декабря 06, 2010, 11:45:54 »
Интересует вопрос: правда-ли, что в паверболле v1 хреновый шумодав?

Оффлайн Maxi Z

• Эксперт
« Ответ #10 : Декабря 06, 2010, 12:50:18 »
доктор меня игнорируют!
следующий!
 :crazy:

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
« Ответ #11 : Декабря 06, 2010, 14:41:13 »
Да вообще полный пипец... как будто ни у кого их нету  ???

Оффлайн PaiN_

• Эксперт
« Ответ #12 : Декабря 06, 2010, 14:44:10 »
не владелец, но хорошо отслушал, сначала думали брать на базу но взяли файрболла. что интересует?  Нойзгейт там шикарный с плавной регулировкой, работает как надо. что еще?

• Опытный
  • Potamochoerus porcus
« Ответ #13 : Декабря 06, 2010, 16:02:19 »
О! А это был первый или второй, который вы слушали?

Такой проблемы не заметили?
It makes the amp dead silent when you're not playing but it has about a full second of lag time before the gate closes when you stop playing.
На всякий случай переведу: "гейт закрывается намертво, но только через секунду после того, как ты перестал играть".

... и добавил:

И почему, всё-таки, не взяли его?

Оффлайн PaiN_

• Эксперт
« Ответ #14 : Декабря 06, 2010, 16:24:24 »
svenotaur, зависит от того как накрутить гейт, не могу сказать что вообще какие то претензии были к гейту. слушал 2-ой новый во всех смыслах) файр взяли, так как дешевле немного, на базу 2 канала достаточно, ну и звучит файр хоть и с самую малость меньшими яйцами, но более чисто и менее компрессированно.